Can Crystals Really Help OCD Symptoms?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety that can present in a variety of different ways. OCD is a fairly common condition, impacting about 1 in 100 people. Ironically, most people, who have the real condition (not those who do not have it, but use it as a “catchphrase” or to hurt or criticize other people), do not realize they have it.
The most common ways to treat OCD are with cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), exposure-response and prevention (ERP) therapy, a form of CBT, acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), and/or other non-traditional “trauma” therapies, like eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, which uses eye movements and stimuli, and/or transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy, which uses magnetic fields to stimulate your brain nerve cells.
Natural remedies, alternative treatments, and self-help tools, like mindfulness meditation, yoga, journaling, acupuncture, OCD books and workbooks, OCD podcasts, forums, and/or support groups, hypnotherapy/hypnosis, a healthy diet with lots of vitamins and minerals, healthy coping skills and strategies, online OCD therapy programs, like Impulse Therapy, and even crystals. Yes, you heard me right – crystals.
This article will help you determine if crystals may be a viable option for your OCD.
So, can crystals help with OCD symptoms? Possibly.
How Can Crystals Help OCD?
Despite there being no scientific evidence to back the use of crystals for healing, there remain mass amounts of people who seek out the use of these energetically charged rocks from the Earth to attain wellness. One can work with crystals for a myriad of purposes. Some use them to dispel negative energy, attract opportunity, or amplify love. Others use them to relieve stress or manage chronic pain. There are some crystals that supposedly even work to connect one to plains of psychic ability.
It’s unsurprising then that there is help in the form of specific crystals for anxiety, OCD, and PTSD. If you’re looking for hard facts about how these crystals work on the human body, you’ll be searching until the end of time. Understanding how crystals can help with anxiety conditions like OCD requires a certain level of surrender to the powers that be: those that are beyond what can be observed physically with the eyes and only experienced on an energetic level.
Crystals work by affecting the energy of objects and beings within close proximity of the stones themselves. These crystals are naturally occurring rocks found on the Earth (although, some are derived from meteorites that originated in outer space), and they are charged with the energy of the elements. This gives each crystal a particular vibration, which is usually higher in frequency compared to other physical matter, including the human body. By being in contact with these vibrations, there can be physical and emotional changes in the user, which explains why some people use crystals to manage aches and pains in the physical body.
All healing crystals work within the light spectrum. They absorb and refract light, and the different colors are experienced as wavelengths. These same wavelengths are found in the human body in what is known as the chakras. Chakras are energy centers that are responsible for creating energetic flow in the body, and as a result in one’s life.
So, What Exactly is OCD?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety condition that involves unwanted, involuntary repetitive intrusive thoughts, urges, fears, doubts, images, and/or emotions (obsessions) and/or ritualistic behaviors (compulsions). Some OCD sufferers grapple with just obsessions, while others only grapple with compulsions. Most, however, struggle with both obsessions and compulsions. Regardless of if you struggle with one or both facets of OCD, it can wreak havoc on your health, happiness, and livelihood.
There are numerous “types” of OCD, such as reading OCD, meta-OCD, harm OCD, existential OCD, relationship OCD or ROCD, contamination OCD, etc. While OCD obsessions typically stem from fears or doubts. For instance, “I will infect myself or others with germs, bacteria, viruses, or diseases (contamination) if I leave my home,” or, “Something terrible will happen if I do not read this text exactly right,” compulsions are used to “quiet” these fears and doubts. For instance, “If I clean my house until it is “spick and span” multiple times a day, I can prevent myself and others from becoming ill, or “When I become anxious or stressed, and when my obsessive thoughts become out of control, the only thing that helps is organizing or re-organizing my kitchen.”
OCD treatments typically involve a multidisciplinary approach of CBT, ACT, ERP therapy, and possibly other therapies, like TMS therapy, EMDR therapy, individual therapy, group therapy, addictions, therapy, etc., along with medications, like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs (i.e., Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Luvox, etc.), and natural remedies and self-help tools.
When OCD therapies and SSRIs (a medication designed to boost your serotonin level) are ineffective, an OCD therapist may prescribe another medication, such as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor or an SNRI, a tricyclic antidepressant, or antipsychotic, to help get your OCD symptoms under control. When a combination of OCD therapies and standard SSRIs are unable to garner OCD relief, this is termed “OCD-treatment resistant.”
What Are Crystals & How Do They Work?
As mentioned above the exact “workings” of crystals in the body are currently unknown.
Crystals are essentially a collection of solid atoms and molecules that form “rock” structures. Crystals are primarily formed from the Earth, however, on rare occasions, they can come from meteorites. The theory is that crystals “work” by altering the energy of people and objects that are close to them.
Crystals appear to spark energy from their internal elements (atoms and molecules). Apparently, the crystals give off certain “vibrations” that can be “healing” to the mind and body. Thus, by being near crystals, you are likely to experience positive emotions, thoughts, and physical changes, which is why many people use crystals to “center” their minds, and/or alleviate aches and pains.
According to crystal specialists, these “rocks” work within the light spectrum. More specifically, they absorb and alter or distort light, thereby, expressing various colors or “wavelengths.” Surprisingly, these same “wavelengths” can be found in the human body. These “wavelengths” are called, “chakras.”
Chakras are energy bases that are responsible for helping energy flow throughout your body. This energy flow can help you focus better, think more clearly, live pain-free, and improve your behavior. This positive energy can also help block negative energy that is triggering the stress and anxiety causing your OCD symptoms.
How Can Crystals Help OCD?
Although no studies have been conducted on the effectiveness of crystals for OCD, there is no doubt that crystals, overall, can be, and often are “calming.” And, while “crystal users” assert that these “Earth rocks” (accumulated atoms and molecules) have “healing properties, others are not so sure. Still, large amounts of people turn to crystals for their health and wellness needs.
Some people turn to crystals to remove negative energy, increase opportunities, and boost the odds of finding (and maintaining) love connections. Others use it to ease stress and anxiety and reduce or manage chronic pain (i.e., headaches/migraines, back pain, muscle aches, emotional distress, etc. A small group of people even believe that crystals can draw out psychic abilities.
Thus, it makes sense that certain crystals could be beneficial for anxiety conditions, like OCD, post-traumatic disorder (PTSD), social anxiety, and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). Unfortunately, however, if you are wanting to learn the exact way crystals reduce or eliminate OCD symptoms, you will be disappointed, because researchers and scientists are still unsure of the exact process or components of this interaction.
These medical professionals are even unsure of exactly how crystals work in the human body. Thus, using crystals for OCD requires a bit of faith. More specifically, it requires a certain amount of trust that although you cannot physically “see” the crystals performing in the body, “unseen” energetic forces are still at play forces that can help ease your OCD symptoms.
How Can I Use Crystals for My OCD Symptoms?
There are ways you can garner optimal results from using crystals for your OCD symptoms.
The first step, however, is to keep an open mind. Understand that your mind, not just your body, plays a significant role in your ability to “heal” from trauma, illnesses, and conditions, such as OCD. Your mind also plays an important role in your body’s ability to properly absorb the medication prescribed to keep your symptoms in check.
In other words, if you believe that a medication will work, there is a greater chance that it will work. Still, how you use crystals for OCD largely depends on your ailments, body chemistry, familiarity with the stone(s), and your lifestyle. Keep in mind that there is no magic crystal for OCD. Also, understand that there is no “best” crystal for OCD, however, there are several crystals that could ease your stress, anxiety, and OCD symptoms.
One of the best things about crystals is that you can keep them close to you in a variety of ways, such as with earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. You can also keep crystals near you by sewing them into your clothing, putting them in your pocket, or placing them on your desk, or laptop. Crystals can even provide stress-relieving benefits when at a short distance, such as in your purse or briefcase. Some OCD sufferers opt to place crystals throughout their homes and in their cars to relieve the stress and anxiety triggering their OCD symptoms.
It is also common to place a crystal in the palm of your hand during mindfulness meditation, so the positive energy can be directly absorbed into your body. Some OCD sufferers have reported placing crystals at the bottom of a water glass to help with their stress, anxiety, and OCD symptoms, while others like to drink liquids out of a crystal water bottle to reap the rewards of these precious stones. In this case, the belief is that the crystals will “charge” the water, and this “charge” will travel throughout your body. The result? “A calming sensation that can relieve OCD symptoms.
However, if you are not ready to jump head-first into a “sea of crystals,” simply keeping a crystal next to you can help you reap its benefits. Also, keep in mind that there is no specific time or day that works “best” for using crystals. In other words, you can use them at any time of the day and on any day with success. All you need to do is place these stones in the areas you are likely to encounter. The result? Positive energy that can help you better manage your OCD symptoms.
What Are The 10 Best Crystals for OCD?
Finding the right way to get relief (real relief) from your intrusive, upsetting, unwanted, and repetitive thoughts, urges, fears, doubts, mental images, emotions, and compulsive behaviors (rituals or routines) can be challenging. It often takes a variety of healing approaches, practices, and methods, to find the right OCD treatment combination. The good news is that you can get the relief you are seeking by adding one or more of these crystals into your daily routine.
Listed below are 10 crystals that can help ease your OCD symptoms:
- Red Jasper & Red Goldstone – Red crystals, like Red Jasper and Red Goldstone, can be beneficial for OCD and other mental health conditions, like anxiety and depression. Red Jasper and Red Goldstone are “protective” and “stabilizing” crystals, which means when intrusive and upsetting thoughts, urges, fears, doubts, etc., arise, this stone can help you return to a happier mental state.
- Rose Quartz – Rose quartz focuses on “love.” This “love” encompasses self-love and the love of others. Rose quartz is a “balancing” crystal, which means it can “calm” stormy emotional waters, trauma, and hormonal changes, while also helping bring your chakra back into balance. Rose quartz also aids in “deep healing,” while providing eliminating negative vibes or energy and providing reassurance for those, who struggle with this element of OCD.
- Garnet – Like the previous two crystals, garnet is also a “balancing” stone designed to “restore” and “revitalize” your mind and body, using the crystal’s energy properties. Garnets ease emotional conflict by boosting your resilience and tolerance and promoting hope and happiness. The word, garnet,” is defined as having more in-depth thought processes, which suggests that this stone involves strength and safety. Thus, the goal of this stone is to “harmonize” or “balance” your thoughts and emotions, so you can think more clearly and function without intrusive thoughts and/or repetitive behaviors.
- Smoky Quartz – Smoky quartz is designed to “calm” your intrusive thoughts and fears, reduce negativity, and ease stress, anxiety, depression, and OCD symptoms – while replacing these upsetting thoughts with more peaceful and positive energies. Smoky quartz is beneficial for OCD because it reduces the stress and anxiety triggering your symptoms while encouraging healthier thoughts and behaviors. Another benefit? This stone prevents and stops suicidal ideation (suicidal thoughts and attempts). Thus, smoky quartz is fantastic for “manifesting” positive thinking patterns and behaviors. Placing smoky quartz on your pillow or on your nightstand can ward-off OCD-related insomnia and nightmares, and/or placing this stone in your show can help keep you focused, relaxed, and “grounded” throughout the day.
- Aquamarine – Aquamarine, also known as the “breath stone,” is a “stress-relieving,” “mind-calming” crystal that can be extremely beneficial for scary, violent, intrusive, and highly distressing obsessions and non-stop, unwanted, and repetitive compulsive behaviors.
Sensitive OCD sufferers may feel drawn to this stone, especially those, who tend to become easily overwhelmed. Aquamarine is also designed to help you gain clarity, so you no longer feel confused by your thoughts and behaviors. It can help you look at the situation in a different way. Another benefit? This stone promotes deep breathing, which is vital for combating stress and anxiety – common triggers of OCD.
- Black Tourmaline – Black tourmaline is another crystal that is good for OCD. More specifically this stone is good for all forms of “healing.” It is especially beneficial in reducing or eliminating OCD thoughts and behaviors. Black tourmaline is designed to remove the “pollutants” causing intrusive thoughts and repetitive behaviors.
This stone also supports a positive attitude, and a “stable” mood, while easing your stress, anxiety, and OCD symptoms. Black tourmaline is a “protective” stone, designed to block negativity and eliminate fears and doubts. Black tourmaline can help you become more focused and “centered,” while reducing your obsessions and compulsions.
- Ametrine – Ametrine is considered one of the most effective crystals for OCD, primarily because it is a combination of amethyst and citrine. Ametrine not only offers a “calming” atmosphere, but put also supports peace, happiness, and stability.
OCD sufferers, who use this stone, report that it has an amazing calming ability that can ease severe obsessions and compulsions. Ametrine also supports inner strength and wisdom. Combining this stone with deep breathing exercises can strengthen tolerance, promote clarity, and increase motivation when you become stressed, overwhelmed, and anxious.
- Sodalite – Sodalite is a crystal designed to help you remain “calm” and rational when you are extremely stressed, anxious, and/or overwhelmed. Sodalite can also help “balance” your mood, regulate your emotions, and/or “calm” your panic attacks. Moreover, this stone can increase your self-esteem, acceptance, and trust. Sodalite is considered a “throat chakra stone,” so the best place to wear this stone is by your neck. This stone can help keep your mind clear, which is beneficial for people with OCD.
- Occo Agate – Occo agate is beneficial not just for your body, but also for your mind, and spirit. This stone is designed to “slow down” and “process” your emotions in real-time. The goal of occo agate is to provide a “calming energy,” designed to “let go” of your anger, stress, and anxiety. It can also improve your perception of thoughts and behaviors.
Thus, occo agate can help you combat your emotional and mental trauma, while helping you release your hostility, resentment, and shame and guilt. Occo agate is often referred to as the “stone of transition,” because it can change unhealthy patterns by ushering light, clarity, positivity, and hope into the situation.
- Lepidolite – Lepidolite is a crystal designed to bring you mental peace. More specifically, lepidolite aids in “emotional healing.” This stone could ease stress, anxiety, and depression while providing a “calm” sensation in your body. Thus, the goal of lepidolite is to remove mental blockages that are triggering obsessions and compulsions and help you become more aware of what is happening to and around you.
- Baumgarten, H. G., & Grozdanovic, Z. (1998). Role of serotonin in obsessive-compulsive disorder. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 35, 13–20. Retrieved from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9829022/
- International OCD Foundation. (n.d.). Who gets OCD? Retrieved from https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/who-gets/